Every time I post a video on my YouTube channel on the things my family doesn't spend money on, I get at least one response from someone saying, "Why not? You can't take it with you anyways." So true, you can't take the money with you, but guess what? You can't take the stuff with you either.
That leaves you one option, to use your time here on Earth to live a life full of happiness, passion, and rich experiences, hopefully surrounded with people who love you. Which makes time the most important aspect of our lives and something we should cherish and utilize wisely. Luckily for me, I am already living my dream life. I stay at home with my family, and work from home doing something I'm very passionate about. Unfortunately, most people, my husband included, are not living their dream life. Although my husband is very successful at what he does, it is not his calling or life's passion. He trades his precious time for the salary that supports our family. We in turn take about 30% of the money he earns and use it to pay our living expenses and give a portion to charity. The other 70% we invest so that he can take an early retirement at 50 and live out his true life's passion, even if that turns out not to be profitable.
We could always turn around and spend most of that money on random stuff, like most Americans do (70% of American households live paycheck to paycheck - despite there being a huge variable of incomes). Stuff that would bring us a few days worth of excitement, (if that much) before we quickly moved on to the next item on our never ending list of wants. Stuff that would need to be researched, bought, delivered, assembled, stored, maintained, cleaned, and even insured; using up even more of my family's time, money, and other resources. Yes, it's true we can't take the money with us, but the money requires very little upkeep, gives my family security, and works for us by earning more money, therefore indefinitely growing. This money, not only awards me the freedom to do what I love most, it will buy my husband his freedom one day soon, my children their college educations, cars, first homes, and sizable inheritances when we pass on.
This is the reason we have chosen not to fall into the average American consumerism trap. We live well within our means but manage our time and money so that we still enjoy life to the fullest. We spend quality hours of time with our children and each other each, every single day (instead of just on the weekends) since we have very little physical or emotional "stuff" to manage, dine out a couple times a month, live in a gorgeous house, take amazing family vacations, and only buy the things that will bring us lasting joy and enhance our lives.
I'm not saying that this lifestyle is for everyone, just sharing this as inspiration that there is another way of life out there for you to consider. You can choose to be different. You always have the option of making this lifestyle your "normal," just as we have.